Monday, February 9, 2015

Bloodscribe- Prologue to the Apocolypse

Sooooooo... Something I've been wondering.  What is Slam/Death metal? Seriously, I don't understand what makes a death metal band a slam one.  Does it have more mosh parts? Is it the crossover/thrash of death metal? Will there be a timed poetry performance contest with a 1 minute limit in the middle of the record?!?! So many questions and too many subgenres!

So this is a record sent for me to review by a band called Bloodscribe from California. It was sent to me by their PR group, Fullblast. They refer to their style as Death metal/ slam on their Facebook page.  From what I can tell is that means a lot of Suffocation worship with a few "pig squeal" vocals thrown in for effect.

Being a reviewer is interesting because I started this blog to get the word out on bands I like.  In the back of my head, I have always wondered what would happen if I ran across a record that is not my cup of tea.  Well, here it is.

I want to start by saying that this isn't a bad or poorly made record.  It, in fact, showcases some very good musicianship and songwriting.  Its just not something I would reach for when I want to hear death metal.  I would rather do Bolt thrower or Incantation myself as I prefer a little more atmosphere.

Most of my quibbles are production.  The mastering is too dry and crisp, rendering a lot of the power moot. The guitars are the selling point on this album as they are tuned down nicely and have a merciless crunch to them, but the production turns the snare into a tin can underneath them.

If you like fairly technical modern death metal, you could certainly do worse.  I mean, you could spend your money on Willowtip releases instead.  Its good at what it does and is very brutal about it.  So check 'em out, fellas!

https://www.facebook.com/bloodscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment