Saturday, September 2, 2017

Axed and Smashed- Gimmick Life(demo)

I love it when this happens... A band asked me to listen and write an opinion about their music.  I feel it is a great honor and responsibility and I take it very seriously.  As always, I will endeavor to give my honest opinion.

I came to punk as my first style of "extreme music".  I had been exposed to earlier punk rock but really preferred the hardcore of Minor Threat and Black Flag as a more straight ahead, no nonsense style.  As I grew I started adding metal but I was one of those kids that loved both styles.  Yeah, I got into a lot of fights at shows in the late 80's/ early 90's... Anywho....

Axed and Smashed are a hardcore punk band from Orlean, New York... My redneck ass has no idea where that is but its far away... I know that.  This is a demo that was recorded last year.  They also have a split with the fine gentlemen in Vermin Warfare and Insomniax and a live recording.

So to the music... This is great! Its raw as hell, oldschool hardcore that hits you like a fist full of nails. Its short, fast and just rude as hell.  Only one track is above 2 minutes and that one is a slow grinder about, apparently,  a terrible woman.  I also think its a cover.  The tracks come hard and fast and grind you down.

The production is demo level and is raw as hell.  They mention something about that on their band camp and I have to agree with their point.  However, if you don't like raw and violent, I honestly don't know why you're here as a cursory look at this blog shows my love for raw and violent.

These guys are a great raw punk band that are trying to keep that great, nihilistic punk vibe alive.  These guys could surely give a shit about you, or me for that matter, and that's exactly what its about! DIY violence done right.  And they even put this recording up for basically free... I ask you how much more can you want... go give them a few bucks to make sure these gentlemen stick around for a minute.

Highlights: Looking like shit, Work, Continuous Cycle.

Visit their bandcamp: https://axedandsmashed.bandcamp.com/album/gimmick-life-demo
And they're even savvy enough to have a facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AxedandSmashed/

No comments:

Post a Comment