Monday, October 1, 2012

Vampyric Blood- Ordo Dracul

         So like I said we will be beginning with some of my favorite releases this year. And this happens to be one of them.  Dark Adversary has been racking them up this year between Eternum and this gem I might just go a bit crazy!
         Beginning with "Ordo Dracul(Introduction)" I had a feeling I was going to enjoy this.  I mean a minimal drumbeat over some weird woodwind(?) instrument and main man Lord of Shadows whispering malignantly over said music... Yep, my kind of deal.  "Black Sorcery of Wallachia" starts with some wonky stuff but then coalesces into some mid paced and mystical black metal and stays that way until the instrumental, "Vulgar Desires of Immortality".  This song works well as a departure from the black metal and adds some atmosphere but with only seven songs on the album I feel it takes away space for what could be another great black metal song and is the only contentious part of the album.  I really like that this drips with darkness and obscurity.  No matter what you think about black metal as a form of art or its possible "political/ social" merits, its the atmosphere that matters most. 
         This is what happens when you combine early Black Funeral and Crimson Moon and is superior to anything either of those bands did in their later career.  I may be wrong but I, again, hear a whiff of that 90's polish school in some of the (very) epic arrangements.  And the ghoulish whisper that makes up 90% of the album vocals adds some much to the vampyric atmosphere.  What an excellent choice, in my humble opinion.  This is an excellent album that should be enjoyed by candlelight.
          One of the best records released this year so far and a shoe-in for one of the top three in my own list.  Go now and pick this up!  My only other real complaint is that this is only seven tracks long! Next time put some more songs on it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment