Sunday, August 24, 2014

Thieving Coyote- Thieving Coyote

So, its happened again! Another foolish group of people puts in my hands their hard work for me to examine and tear apart!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! The fools!!!

No, seriously this is really cool... yet another band has decided to ask me for my opinion. I like it! So let's get started.

As I have mentioned before, I am from South Carolina. I am a southerner and its something I can't really shake, not that I really want to. It's just something in my blood. It actually does inform some of my musical taste.  I think its why I like blues based music.  One style I used to love is the whole southern metal thing. Enter Thieving Coyote from Florence, SC.

Now I know what you're thinking, "Dude, what do you mean 'used to love'? There's plenty of southern metal bands!"  Really? It was great about ten years ago until Savanah took over and now everything I loved about the scene is sublimated by an attempt to be 'progressive" and a lack of aggression.  Well, I guess in that way its just mirroring most modern metal. But I digress.  I have been thirsty for solid southern metal for... well, about ten years now.  Its a good thing for me I must not be the only one.

First off this is an ep. Its roughly 20 minutes of your time and you don't really feel the time go by.  It starts with the corker "White Lightning".  If you don't know what that's a reference to then, by all means, look it up. All I can say is my grand dad used to make it all the time and even used it to help wake himself up.  The song feels like white lightning running done your throat.  Its the fastest song on the record and a total rocker.

In turn each song pulls some interesting tricks out. "Space Van" has a slightly more stoner vibe. "Dead Man's Gamble" is more straight up rock n roll.  "Dixie Wizard" is the most southern sounding of the bunch and it locks into a great groove. Finally "Lizards on the Radio" entertains with its tales of excess at the truck stop. That song in particular has a highly amusing intro.

From back to front, this is a great southern fried metal excursion.  It should please any fan of early southern metal and just rock n roll period.  And you should definitely give them your hard earned money.  It's good to see my home state housing such rocking bands again!

 https://www.facebook.com/ThievingCoyote
https://thievingcoyote.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment