Friday, August 8, 2014

IIIIIIIII'm Baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!! + Axattack- Toxic Wasted ep

Hello Again Interwebs,

I have returned to grace you with more face melting, loud as hell, molten metal!!!

Now I know what you're thinking, "Dude! You can't just pop back here after 2 years like nothing happened!" Well, actually, yes... Yes I can... It's my space and I can do what I want! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

But I'm back... for the forseeable future at least...

But today I have a real post... a review...

I am from South Carolina and while I don't hate it, it is not known for its metal.  I mean, we had a great death and thrash metal scene...  20 YEARS AGO!!!! Yeah, we had Nile but that's really our only metal claim to fame that I care about.  I don't care too much about it either.

Then I got lucky.  I met a couple of younger fellows that really liked metal.  We didn't always agree on everything but they got the passion and the fire.  And, again lucky for me, one of them started a band.

Axattack is a three piece thrash act from Columbia, SC, which is my hometown.  This is their first release. It's a self relreased 3 song ep.  It clocks in at just around the 9 minute mark.  It has songs about werewolves and thrashing beer zombies.  Sounds fun so far, right?

Werewolf blasts out with a maniacal scream and a beautifully crazed riff.  The vocalist sounds quite honest when he yells, "You will die!" This all leads to a howl and a killer mosh part cycling into the lead.  The drums pound you into oblivion.  The bass is actually audible and does a great job of anchoring the riffs to the rhythm.  The whole song pounds you flat and leaves you with one of those great moments where all the musicians beat their instruments for 10 seconds.  Excellent opener!

Toxic Wasted starts off with a tasty riff and then gets up to speed quickly.  Something I've said for a long time. You can't play thrash slow.  This track speeds by and seems to be about being pissed because you drank all the alcohol.  I can imagine a fairly destructive party to this.  Though I will say this has more of a bite than the party thrash stuff.  The riff stays pretty moshy through the song with intermittent screams of "toxic wasted!" Overall, its a very bare bones but loud and fast track.  Really great for thrashing and drinking! My favorite track!

Bear the Mark starts with a bit of drums and a great neck plunge leading into a much more mid paced riff. Still these guys know its speed we need- and they lose no time to lay it on us.  This is a "thrash anthem" of sorts.  Its good fun and pretty diverse flowing into a slightly more bay area style.  This song specifically reminds me more of early Metallica.  A little more melodic and a little slower but a great closer, indeed!

Look, the influences are all there.  You can pick them apart if you want be these gents have released a great ep and deserve your money for the thrash.

 https://axattacksc.bandcamp.com/album/toxic-wasted-ep 

Next up reviews of the new Countess, new Ogre and many more.




No comments:

Post a Comment