Sunday, November 9, 2014

Phantasmal- The Reaper's Forge

Continuing on my path of demos that have completely impressed me, we come to Phantasmal.

Phantasmal are a black heavy metal band from the USA.  The term "black heavy metal" is too perfect of a fit as there music strikes me as a combo of early Manowar and Venom with some thrash elements thrown in.  Really, the members might as well have walked up to me and said, "Hey, what elements of metal music should we combine together to make you happy?"  This is a pretty much perfect release with the exception of it being too short in my opinion.

The demo starts with "The Reaper's Forge" just a straight up rocking mid paced number.  Things thrash up here and there but its more of a power/thrash feeling.  But its hard to make this style of metal really rock out and that's what Phantasmal does while still remaining true to the 1st wave bm influences as well.  "The Eternal Campaign" is next and you can feel warriors sharpening axes and swords, readying shields and ballista, and trying each other to make sure they are ready to fight for all time!  I head banged so hard through this one that I thought I was going to break my neck.  I couldn't stop! I was compelled by Metal!  The next track, "Queen Nightshade",  is also a mid paced burner that brings on the head banging.  It also contains some great lead work and melodies.  Its the longest song clocking in at just over five minutes adding to the epic factor.

I really can't compliment this demo enough!  Someone needs to sign these guys! If i had money I would do it, but alas, I do not...  Right now this demo is name your price at band camp but give them a few bucks.  Apparently they are releasing this in cassette format soon, so if you don't pay for the download pick that up when it comes out! Seriously support this fantastic heavy metal band!!

https://www.facebook.com/phantasmalmetal/timeline
https://phantasmalmetal.bandcamp.com/releases  

No comments:

Post a Comment