Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Portrait- Crossroads

Well... ahem... Its been a while... What can i say? I'm lazy...

I really like Mercyful Fate a lot! I mean a whole lot... Really more than most people can imagine... I love the black metal bands that use them as a primary influence( Root, Master's Hammer, Mortuary Drape) but more on that later.

But, to be honest, I don't enjoy many of the modern traditional takes on the formula. I despise Ghost.  In Solitude bores me.  And while RAM is pretty good, its missing something.  Portrait, however, always seemed to resonate.  Ever since their 1st record, I have championed them.  I like this record as much if not more than the others.

First let me say that this is not a clone... There's plenty of other feeling in here.  I personally hear quite a bit of early Judas Priest.  Again, yes please! But the Fate influence is unmistakable.  The power in the music is also unmistakable.  The riffing is excellent in every song.  The vocals, while influenced by King, have their own since of drama and magic.  Everything on this record is well crafted and speaks of excellent heavy metal.

Unlike many of their peers, Portrait really uses atmosphere in the music.  They actually have the slightly creepy air of Fate, something that many of these type of bands miss out on altogether. They also have the warm guitar tone that Fate had giving them a unique sound... Especially these days!  Good show, gentlemen! Quite an enjoyable record! A shoe-in for my end of the year list!

Stand out tracks: In Time, Ageless Rites, Our Roads Must Never Cross.

https://www.facebook.com/portraitsweden

No comments:

Post a Comment